Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Search For Noah Pippin


Personal Recollections About The Search For and Recovery of Noah Pippin

August 21-26, 2012

Larry L. Lautaret

 

August 14Tuesday –  My first involvement with the missing Noah Pippin case came on Tuesday, August 14th at a Whitefish Police Department fund raising event for the Montana Special Olympics called “Tip-A-Cop.”  Mackenzie River Pizza, for I believe the second year in a row, opened their facilities that day for a program that enabled WPD Officers and Chaplains to wait on tables and serve customers.  The concept was for customers to leave a “tip” for the cops, which all went to help Montana Special Olympics.   It is one of several interesting and special ways the WPD helps with this program.  (Another is the “Penguin Plunge” in which many law enforcement agencies and all other sorts of lunatics, individually or collectively, donate money in order to break the ice in Whitefish Lake and jump into the frigid water.  Chief Bill Dial, Assistant Chief Mike Ferda, and Detective Bridger Kelch, as well as most of the WPD, are very supportive of these events, and have made WPD one of the top fund raisers in the nation for this charity.  They typically get great support from most of the law enforcement agencies in the area including the Whitefish Border Patrol station.)

At this “Tip-A-Cop” event I was first introduced to the new Border Patrol Agent in Charge (PAIC) of the Whitefish Station, Richard Stratton.  He had just gotten into the area a day or so prior, and was getting acquainted.  Several BP agents came to the “Tip-A-Cop” event to lend their support to the cause.  This is a significant piece to a series of interesting connections, and I contend miracles, surrounding the Noah Pippin situation.   Up to this point I had never heard of Noah Pippin. 

At this same event I met Supervisory Agent Richard Perez, and Agent Chris Woywod, a BP  Instructor.   As WPD Chaplain, my task was to meet and greet potential diners and victims and prepare them for the fleecing they were about to enjoy at the hands of uniformed armed men waiting on them, serving drinks and so forth.  I would often ask them if they were coming to eat, and warn them that this was not a good day to try to rob the place or cause trouble, then explain the situation and send them on in.  I have not heard how this whole thing turned out financially, but it was a great project and a good time. 

As I visited with various officers, agents, and staff, Chris and I began to talk about wilderness trips, horses, etc.  Apparently he had heard of the Noah Pippin case and knew that Noah’s brother, Caleb, was also BP Agent.  He also knew that Caleb and his parents were going to be in Great Falls, Montana, to carry on the search on Friday, August 17.  I think he knew that the Pippins had gotten connected with Vern and Donelle Kersey, who were hikers that had last seen Noah Pippin alive near the Chinese Wall in the Bob Marshall Wilderness two years earlier.   Apparently Caleb had been preparing for a trip into “The Bob” with the Kerseys, and as a result was doing some rock climbing in training for the trip when he broke his leg.  He just got out of his cast, and when he arrived in Montana was able to get around only with the help of crutches or hopping on one leg.  This also plays significantly into the situation with my involvement.  Chris was moved to want to help this fellow BP agent, and was preparing to try to go in on a search with them, but really had no idea or specific resources to make it happen other than hike himself.

As we spoke of some of my trips, my stock, and my interest, he asked if I would be interested in supplying the stock and some of my expertise with stock and the back county in a little larger search operation.  Naturally this is right up my alley, both in terms of my interest in the back country, my interest as a law enforcement Chaplain, my interest in the BP more particularly, and my interest in helping a family, which as it turned out is a family of deep faith also.  I was immediately gung ho, but had no idea on a time frame, other than I knew I had time the next week, and that things would have to unfold rapidly for any of us to be able to connect with the Pippins, etc. 

Chris apparently planted or perhaps watered some seed of a search with others, notably Richard Perez.  At some point during the day I was informed that Pat Walsh, a recently retired Flathead County Sheriff  Deputy and Detective that had worked extensively on the Noah Pippin case, was going to be at the BP Whitefish office the NEXT day, August 15.  I was invited to attend this briefing.  At this point there was almost no thought of an actual BP operation, but merely a few agents wanting to step in and help as they could, as BP had not been requested to assist by Lewis and Clark County.  As wheels were turning elsewhere, Lewis and Clark County (L & C C) did indeed request the assistance of BP, and the wheels rapidly were put in motion to make this an actual BP op.

I know almost nothing about the internal issues involved in any of the agencies, and my recollections about how things unfolded may miss the mark by miles, but I am giving the account from my civilian perspective on how they appear to have unfolded.

Another interesting side issue that causes me to believe fervently that this entire matter has God’s fingerprints all over it is that Cynthia Fuller works at the Whitefish BP office.  She and her husband, John, were former parishioners of mine and had acquired several of my horses over the years.  John and I had formerly done a lot of things together with horses, including numerous back country rides and hunting trips.   Some serious issues had arisen between John and me and there had been a deep estrangement for the past 2 ½ years or so. 

When Chris returned to the station he began to speak of me, my horses, and a potential search trip into the Bob.  Of course Cynthia shared with him parts of our past relationship with horses.  Because of John having access to several horses, he was invited to the briefing as well.  Naturally this met with some mixed emotions on my part, as up to this point I had never heard voiced any sense of regret at the way I felt John and others had acted toward me and my family in times past.  But, as a believer in Jesus Christ I did not and do want to be an impediment to restored relationships, nor do I want to become a bitter old man by harboring ill will.  I want to forgive and move on with life.  This has not been an easy issue for approaching three years.  This trip and the necessity to work and spend time together gave opportunity to express deep concerns and feelings and for John and me to listen and interact.   I believe John and I are on the way to healing.  Again this is a significant, and I believe miraculous, “God” thing, for which I rejoice.

 

Another fascinating side issue is that our son-in-law, also a BP Agent, who with our daughter had earlier hiked most of the Pacific Crest Trail, and had also worked seasonally for several years in Glacier National Park, had actually served on the same BP shift with Caleb Pippin at another station.  They had talked of Montana, and hiking, and shared an enthusiasm for the outdoors.  It seems an amazing “small world” coincidence. 

(As a sidelight, the reason I am not using the names of other BP Agents is that there is a pretty wide BP policy of not identifying personnel publicly.  In some settings it can subject them or their families to hazard, as they have a very dangerous occupation in several settings of deployment.  I would love to give credit to these great men, but those who were involved know their role and can be proud of their service.  I profoundly appreciate them, their task, and their contribution in this specific op.  I have received permission from those whose names I am using.)

 

August 15  Wednesday – I don’t know how this meeting got put together but I was invited by Chris to participate in a briefing at Whitefish BP headquarters with Pat Walsh, former Flathead County Detective who has worked extensively and excellently on the Noah Pippin case.  Several agents were in and out but PAIC Richard Stratton, Rich Perez, and Chris seemed most involved.  This is where I got the most initial information and looked at maps of the potential search area, and an initial plan began to form.  A preliminary plan for several of us to leave on Tuesday, August 21st developed.  At this point I think it was still just a couple of guys, primarily agents, planning on going in to help a brother BP agent.  As the plan unfolded, other agencies came aboard, permissions were sought and obtained, and it rapidly became a full blown op.  Over the next few days there had to be an enormous mountain of interagency planning, preparation, organization, and coordination going on.  John and I were preparing the horse side of the op and we had to prepare our own gear for a week long expedition also.  There was plenty to do.  Agent Perez is evidently an expert at putting things together.  It is absolutely phenomenal that so many men and materials and agencies could pull something of this nature off in such short order. 

 

August 21Tuesday – I had to get up early to prepare and tack up my six horses, load up all the gear, load the horses into the trailer, and head out to a briefing that I discovered that morning was to be at 2:00 p.m. at the Swan Lake Search and Rescue (SAR) building.  I knew once I left home, I was gone for the duration, so everything I needed for myself and the stock had to be with me when I left home, as Swan Lake was on the way to the trailhead.  The plan was to leave directly from the briefing and head to the Benchmark Trail Head out of Augusta, Montana, on the east side of the Rocky Mountain front.

The briefing was held at Swan Lake, I think at the request of L & C County Sheriff Leo Dutton.  Flathead County Sheriff Chuck Curry, who offered whatever resources were needed from Flathead County to the search effort, Under Sheriff Dave Leib, Deputy Brian Heino, Retired Detective Pat Walsh, and several others from Flathead County attended, as did the Lake County Sheriff, since the meeting was in Lake County.  Thanks to Lake County for supplying the location and some food for the briefing!  Most of the BP and Office of Field Operations Agents (OFO formerly US Customs), from Whitefish, Eureka, and Roosville that would ultimately join the search were there, as well as PAIC Richard Stratton, and several SAR folks from various places.  Also Noah’s parents, Mike and Rosalie Pippin, and Noah’s brother, Caleb, participated.   

At the conclusion of the meeting I asked Mike and Rosalie Pippin if they would like to have a time of prayer together.  They said they would, and most of those present gathered and participated in it.  There is no question in my mind that God had His hand on this amazing operation.  This prayer and the many others offered up over the past two years was answered in remarkable fashion.

It was at this meeting I first learned that the air drop was NOT to be allowed.  Requests were still being made, but I knew immediately that this would complicate things immeasurably from the horse, feed, logistics, and transportation of men and materials standpoint.  Thanks a lot to the Forest Service bureaucrat that pitched that little grenade into the tent of the search party!!

            Sheriff  Dutton set the rendezvous time to meet at the Benchmark trailhead near Augusta at 0900 Wednesday morning for final deployment of the search party. 

            Following this meeting Chris took his vehicle and Caleb Pippin and headed to the trail head, as did John Fuller in his pickup and trailer with his three horses, and I in my pickup and trailer with my six. 

On the way we encountered some rain, and by the time we left Augusta headed for the trail head, the road was phenomenally muddy and slick with that Eastern Montana gumbo.  Everything was fine …. until it wasn’t!  I saw John weaving all over the road, barely keeping his lighter rig on the road.  Before I could hit 4 wheel drive, and barely moving 10 mph, I was sucked into the ditch.  A Forest Service gal from Libby came by in her 4 wheel drive pickup and stayed to supply help, as John could not return to help since there was no place to turn around for some distance and no way to turn around at all in that gumbo.  She was very helpful and savvy, helping me unload all six horses in the mud of the ditch, and then was miraculously able to pull my entire rig out.  She had almost zero traction in the middle of the road in 4 wheel drive, but now I had engaged my own 4 wheel drive also.  (six wheel drive if you count the rear duallies on my very manly Dodge 1 Ton!  ☺)  I had plenty of power …. just no traction!)  Between us the truck with the camper on it and the trailer came out and back onto the road. 

So, thank you to this lovely Forest Service lady, whose name I no doubt heard, but promptly forgot.  She was indeed a God-send on a late week night in the middle of nowhere!  I bet SHE, and most other USFS folks, would have permitted an air drop under those conditions.  Alas, common sense in the field is not always remembered by the desk jockeys that rise to their own levels of incompetence!  I would recommend that the USFS trade these two places!  It would be good for both of them and all of us!!!  ☺ Of course, I might still then be in the ditch!  She stayed with us until we were through the hazardous spots that went on for some miles. 

By the time I was back on the road, John had found a place to turn around in a field and was headed back, now in the wrong direction.  I was able to sneak by him and keep going for several more miles of gumbo before the road improved as we gained elevation.  He was able to finally turn back around and follow. 

We arrived at the trail head well after dark.  By now my horses had been in the trailer since 11:00 a.m. that morning all tacked up.    Chris and Caleb had gotten on the wrong road out of Augusta and came later than us.  The signage at Benchmark is not all that helpful.  Unless you already know where to go, the signs are of almost zero value.  The entire complex covers several miles with trails going various places, so finding the right place is by no means easy, particularly at night.   John and I and Caleb spent the night in my camper, while Chris spent the night in the back of his BP pickup.  Due to the lateness of the hour and the early morning projected start time, I elected to keep my horses tacked up.  We fed them some hay and went to bed.  The night was uneventful, splendidly enough. 

 

August 22Wednesday – L & C County Deputy Urijah Wood as incident commander arrived, as did the various L & C SAR team members, the civilians, and the BP and OFO Agents. (For convenience I refer to both as BP Agents, as I believe they were under a common command on this op.  But they have different color costumes and their own specific mission and functions in Homeland Security.  Nonetheless these guys were ALL phenomenal!!)  My count of the party was: 8 BP and OFO Agents;  (at least this was the number mentioned in the press) Deputy Wood from L & C County Sheriff’s Office; 5 L & C SAR members, and 5 “civilians,” including John and I, Vern Kersey, Ralph Thornton, and Pat Walsh.  A total, if my math is accurate, of 19 men and 10 horses.

With no air drop permitted, (did I mention that?  THANKS a LOT Forest Service Bureaucrat!!) we now had the challenge of attempting to lighten 15 individual burdens for a 20 mile hike, and packing in needed medical, communication, and tactical equipment for the operation, as well as the food, tents, sleeping bags and other gear needed for such a venture.  (I’m pretty sure it was every bit as daunting a task as Lewis and Clark faced ….. or perhaps not quite!  ☺)  There was not adequate space available, and certainly no room for horse feed.   Many of these men still had to hit the trail with 50–80 + lb. packs.   

While we were loading the last of the load onto the horses, and just about to hit the trail, one of my horses, Beauty, the last one in the pack string, got tangled in her lead rope, and in the melee went down.  If you know horses at all, you can imagine that this caused quite a stir among the whole string that was tied together nose to tail, and generated a fair amount of enthusiastic thrashing about.   I was alerted to the turn of events and ran to Beauty, and having no really better plan yet formulated, told her to lay still!! …………… And she did until we could undo her saddle and load and get her untangled.   When she was free of her load and saddle, she stayed quiet and laid there until I told her to get up …… and then she did.  I’d like to claim stunning horsemanship, …… it certainly was a stunning turn of events!!!  It may have been sheer luck, but it sure impressed me as it appeared she would lay or get up at my voice command.  I have seen horses in less stressful situations than that tear the tack and the load and themselves to pieces.  No one else may have noticed, but I suspect horsemen would have been amazed.  I was!!

 Again, this, in hindsight, was another of those moments of Divine intervention.  Had we lost a horse at that point it would have once again jeopardized the entire operation.  The hikers had already left, we had a full load, and it would have been disaster.  Plus it would have left me standing there wondering what to do with an injured horse. 

After dealing with that little set back, I had mounted my three year old black and white painted Tennessee Walker, Sundae Swirl, who was experiencing her first year of being ridden, and we were taking off when someone noticed an entire loaded backpack that had yet to go.  The owner, who still carried a sizeable load, had already hit the trail.  There was nothing to do but add it to the load.  If you have ever attempted to pack a loaded backpack on top of an already weighed and ready load …. in a hurry ….. you may have some idea of the consternation.  Otherwise I can simply tell you, it ain’t as easy as it might appear to a novice.  In addition to that, many hands had weighed the loads in the first place, and then I’m sure, innocently enough, folks thought, “well, this little bit won’t hurt that much,” as they added pounds from their packs into already prepped loads.   HOWEVER IT DOES matter.  A load that is off balance by just a few pounds, and by that I mean as few as 2-3 pounds, can cause grief for the entire distance …… and does! 

We had not gone ¼ mile before the load required adjustment.  So, we adjusted.  But frisky horses at the trail head that haven’t had time to settle in, coupled with good men that have no idea about packing, make for a goat rope deluxe.  Besides which, with me riding the lead horse and five tied on behind, if I get off, the entire train can take off in a variety of directions …… or even if they go in only one direction it is like what happened when the woman backed into a propeller …… disaster!  Once again THANK YOU FOREST SERVICE BUREAUCRAT for disallowing an air drop!!! 

We were finally able to get under way and I was riding Sundae.  She was golden, and when she is fresh she can TRAVEL.  We headed into the wilderness like a scalded dog.  We had to stop fairly regularly as one horse or another ….. often Marley …… broke loose, or a pack shifted due to the many hands involved in the packing, and the “help” of those that added things not properly packed and weighed.  

Within a few miles we caught up with and passed most of the hikers.  But not all.  Some of those guys are animals!!  They were staying together in groups for obvious tactical and safety reasons.  Around 11-12 miles in we arrived at Indian Point Ranger Station, and it was all fire covered in tin foil or whatever they wrap cabins in to prevent burning.  It looked like a shining city on a hill ….. or at least shiny cabin!  In any event we did not have access to the cabin.  I am uncertain as to whether or not to excoriate the Forest Service for that lack of access, but if we had access we could all have stayed there, which could have been a fine thing.  I would however like to take this opportunity to again say THANK YOU FOREST SERVICE BUREAUCRAT ….   

Arriving at the cabin, thinking we might stop for the night, we unloaded the critters and let them graze for a few minutes.  We soon got a call on the radios to bring some horses back for several men with heavy loads, blisters, and general weariness.  Ralph DeCunzo, L & C SAR Coordinator, got away first with his one saddle horse.  It took a few minutes to get some of mine back and ready, but John and I soon headed back down the trail.  We encountered Ralph walking back leading his saddle horse loaded with 3-4 backpacks.  It appeared to be quite a feat to me!  Good job, Ralph.  John and I went back around 2 miles and picked up some more gear and a couple of men.  Then back to the cabin.  As the cabin was unavailable for use, when we arrived back at the cabin the decision had been made to move on up the trail closer to the search area, where some in the party believed there was better graze and a camping spot.  It was said to be only a mile or so to the place the White River Pass Trail took off. 

So, we loaded the gear and headed out.  When we arrived, there was indeed a fine camping spot for a party such as ours ……… but no good graze.  The only option was to turn our stock loose and let them forage among the trees, brush, and shin tangle, or in my case to sort of picket a few of my horses and hope for the best.  In any event they could not be left alone for a moment as they were perpetually tangled up and would have torn themselves to shreds.  Several of them, in fact, DID sustain injuries.  Once again THANK YOU ….

Having been continually occupied from 0 dark hundred with the feeding and watering stock, packing, loading, etc., I had hardly time to eat anything.  I have a water filter and had a container of water on my saddle horse, but it had run out prior to Indian Point, and I had not had so much as 30 seconds to eat, drink, or be married.  By the time I arrived at the camping spot, I only had one nerve left, and the Forest Service idiot was standing right on it!!  By now fairly certain he is a Communist plant!    I believe I would still like to meet that guy and at the least explain the way more perfectly to him, and perhaps lay hands on him suddenly ……  perhaps without prayer!!!  I must sadly confess that my main thoughts of him were not for his health, wellbeing, or even his eternal soul.  There were likely some thoughts along the line that he should get firsthand knowledge of his eternal condition!!  ☺ It would not have been a good day for him to fly in to see how things were going with the search!!

Several BP agents did bring me, and I believe John, some water and helped watch the stock so that we could get something to eat and drink and get some of our own gear together.  After attempting to get the horses some much needed forage, John and I had to get a highline for the horses up, remove their tack, and get our own gear together for the night.  Again several BP agents were helpful in these tasks.  By now it was apparent that this campsite was inadequate for our party.  It was too far from the search area and there was no good feed or water for the horses.

 

August 23Thursday – Ralph DeCunzo and I went on a scouting trip to find a better campsite.  We rode about 4 miles to Pine Creek, where we found the best graze we had seen.  It was by no means ideal, but looked like it could work.  As Ralph and I returned to the first campsite the party was packing up and as we got things together we moved the entire outfit the 4 miles to Pine Creek.  It is no small matter to start over with every man’s personal gear and preparing the horses, weighing out all the loads, and packing the camp.  Even for only four miles, everything has to be properly packed or it can be a nightmare ….. even if you are packing geldings ….. in the daylight.   I have a mix of both mares and geldings!   

The Pine Creek location was that much closer to the search area and there was much better forage.  It was not great, but there was adequate water for both men and stock.  It absorbed most of the second day to relocate camp and set up the appropriate command center.  Later in the day the various team leaders made plans for the actual search.  I actually had some time to filter some water and wash my face.  Bonus!

 

August 24Friday was the first actual day of search.  THANKS AGAIN, Forest Service guy, for two days getting to a proper base for operations when simple permission for a 15 minute flight would have done nicely.  (Actually I find it sort of amazing that either the Sheriff or BP didn’t just tell the Forest Service to pound sand, or something, and fly anyway, but I guess things don’t work that way in that world.  We live in the part of the “range” of which it is sung, “where seldom is heard a discouraging word,” which is a fine sentiment indeed.  However, a few sentiments such as could qualify as a “discouraging word” were heard to come forth from a few lips of those on the ground .….. all in a properly politically correct fashion, of course.  Except for the civilians, who were much less careful about allowing their feelings to show in this wonderful time of male bonding!!  ☺)  The USFS was a common theme of discussion any time the hardships of the trail emerged, which was fairly often, and not nearly in as complimentary fashion as you would expect agencies and citizens, ostensibly on THE SAME TEAM, to speak of one another.

            Early Friday morning, two teams of four headed out of camp hiking towards the Chinese Wall area where Noah had last been seen.  John and I brought most of the horses carrying a few men and materials to the gathering site where these two teams were to launch their search.    This took us very near the Wall, which was an awe inspiring sight standing tall in the bright blue sky.  An additional team headed up Pine Creek searching for clues up that drainage.  Another team of three BP and OFO Agents that had hiked all the way from the Benchmark trail head to Red Butte Creek the first day and camped there, searched up that drainage, planning to follow the Chinese Wall back to the White River Pass area since they had to be out of the area by Saturday. 

When John and I and the horses met up with the two teams at the jumping off point of the search, Vern Kersey, with his knowledge of the area, informed us that within about ¼ mile there was an area that had formerly been used by outfitters where there was much better graze and some water for the stock.  Since the stock had not been able to graze much that morning, John and I accompanied by Chris took the stock and did find a great location, not only for the stock, but that would have worked well for the denied air drop.  I marked the location on my GPS.  (This turned out to be the place that was called in for the later available air support to come in and transport the remains, and many of the men and materials.)

As soon as the horses were in order, Chris immediately returned to join his search team.  John and I remained and gave the stock about 1 ½ hours of graze and then tied the unneeded stock securely and prepared to take only our saddle horses and conduct our own assigned search from there towards Cliff Mountain along both sides of the trail, searching for clues.

We had no more than left the rest of the stock secured in that area and headed out for our assigned search than over the radio came the request that Deputy Wood come immediately to the announced location, that there was 100% POD in the find.  I’m not sure what that meant or means, but as the radio traffic unfolded we realized the search team believed they had actually found Noah.  Vern Kersey, a civilian volunteer that with his wife, Donelle, had been the last people to ever see Noah alive, actually made the discovery of Noah’s remains and final camp site.  This was, I believe, a huge and therapeutic thing, as Kerseys had no doubt replayed the scene many, many times, and wondered if they could possibly have done more.  Surely they were haunted by their last interaction with Noah and the resultant uncertainty once they learned of his being missing.  Though they had earnestly invited Noah to come and enjoy dinner with them and stay in their camp for the night, he had declined their hospitality and moved on, so it is hard to imagine they could have done any more than they did.

Deputy Wood had to make his way back to camp from his own assigned search pattern.  While he was doing so, within minutes John and I were ordered immediately back to the Pine Creek Command Center with the horses.  John and I returned to the horses, gathered them up and headed down to base camp.  Upon arrival, John was assigned to carry Deputy Wood, as the head law enforcement officer in the search, back up the mountain to the find site.   Ralph DeCunzo rode his own horse along with them back to the team departure site and then they made their way with the horses as close as possible to the find site.  John was assigned to remain with the horses and wait to transport the team back to base camp. 

I was assigned to stay in camp with Caleb, who had just been informed by the radio traffic that his long lost brother appeared to have been found.  Caleb had had two years to ponder the various possibilities, yet I’m sure this was a profoundly bitter sweet announcement to him alone at the camp.  There had to have been some relief on the one hand that the mystery might now finally be solved, yet also the knowledge that his brother was certainly not alive and well somewhere else.  We had several hours to visit and share together and it was a great time.  I was blessed in the interaction, and hope that our time together was meaningful to him as well.

Noah was found under the overhang of a huge boulder that would have provided some shelter.  I don’t know whether there was evidence of a fire or not, but such would have been a huge benefit had he been able to have one in that setting.  I understand he was in his sleeping bag with his LAPD pistol on or near him, with a picture of his parents on his chest.  I don’t know a lot of details and ought not share them if I did until they are released by others.  From a believer’s standpoint there is clear evidence that during his last moments he was thinking of his Godly parents and family.  Only God, of course, can know what was going through his mind, but if there was ever a place to find peace with God, it would seem he was in such a place and had time to do so.  We also know that his last contact with others was warm and inviting and hospitable.  My understanding is that he had encountered a group of hunters earlier and that they had also invited him into their camp, talked at some length with him, invited him to their church group, etc.  It appears to me that the prayers of his family were certainly answered regarding opportunity for Noah to encounter loving people on his final earthly journey.

Many questions remain, and some answers may never be definitive.  There had been much speculation among LE agencies as to whether Noah may have taken his own life.  Some reports from those that had seen him led to that as one major operating theory of search behavior.  The photograph found near him of his parents would not be out of character for a suicide.  However, much of the other early evidence made it appear that he was simply camping and/or seeking shelter when the snow storm overtook him.  In any event many of his remains and the bulk of his gear were recovered from the site.  It appears that his location was one of planning for survival.  And it seems he had some more actual gear and equipment than was at first thought.  Speculation may never end unless forensics can discover some definitive evidence, but the fact that his remains are found can bring a huge and wonderful and terrible closure.

We were all briefed several times that if anything whatsoever was found, it should be left untouched, as the entire area then became a “crime scene” and L & C County would need to send an investigation team to the site.  As it turned out Noah’s remains and camp site were found, and as instructed, the entire scene was secured.  As it was too late in the day to obtain appropriate flight plans, the Sheriff, Coroner, and detective and recovery team had to wait until Saturday to do their duties. 

            I never made it to the find site, but have seen some photographs.  At this writing Sheriff Dutton, who himself was on scene with the recovery team helicoptered in on Saturday morning, has been quoted in the press as stating that it appears to him that Noah likely was overcome with hypothermia due to the blizzard conditions that occurred very shortly after the Kerseys had encountered him.  Apparently the snow storm struck right after the encounter with Kerseys and lasted several days.

            The search teams hiked or rode back to base camp near the end of the day to make preparations for departure, some the next day, some needing to remain until Sunday morning.  There was subdued jubilation in the remarkably successful mission, but also sadness for Caleb and the rest of the family.  I believe everyone recognized the extraordinary, and I believe miraculous, success of the mission and the amazing series of “coincidences,” chance meetings, availability of stock and personnel, that led to the mission even being able to happen.  It was a truly remarkable convergence of events.

 

August 25Saturday – A Montana National Guard helicopter was now made available and authorized by the USFS to bring in L & C County Sheriff Dutton, the Coroner, and recovery team, and to extract Caleb, most of the BP searchers, several of the SAR members, etc. 

Deputy Urijah Wood, Ralph DeCunzo, and the two SAR team leaders, Skyler Pester, and Kevin Grabinski, had to be at the chopper Landing Zone (LZ) to lead the recovery team to the site, and to preserve the chain of possession.  John Fuller was assigned to supply his horses and one of mine to transport this team to the LZ first thing Saturday morning.  They were first out of camp for the approximately 4 mile ride to the LZ I had marked.  They travelled light with just saddle horses.

Next out of camp were the BP agents and SAR team members that had to hike to the LZ for extraction.  I and my remaining five horses were next to leave, carrying Caleb and as much of the gear of the hikers that could be packed to the LZ for extraction.  I and those with me arrived at the preliminary LZ to meet those that had come ahead.  We didn’t have to wait long, as soon the Blackhawk chopper arrived and began circling us.  From the air they could apparently see a better LZ than where we were all located, so they landed about 1/4 -1/2 mile closer to the actual Chinese Wall in a much larger open area.  So we very hastily moved the entire operation to locate the chopper.  The chopper was shut down and delivering the Sheriff and his recovery team by the time we arrived.  It was an awesome sight.  As soon as possible the Sheriff and his team headed to the find site to conduct the onsite investigation and bring about the actual recovery.

John and I and the horses were still at the now actual LZ waiting for the chopper to depart, and ultimately for the Sheriff and his team to return for the second chopper load.  Seeing the huge Blackhawk take off with all the men, gear, and materials that could go was a remarkable sight.  It was loud on steroids, and really sent up a stiff breeze.  The horses were tied securely perhaps 100-150 yards away and the departure of the helicopter certainly acquired their undivided attention and appeared to produce a little angst among them ….. if horses are capable of angst!?  John and I stayed close by them, and all in all I was very impressed by how well they took the earthshaking process. 

As the chopper departed with Caleb and much of the search crew and gear, it flew over and circled the discovery site so that Caleb could see where his brother was found.  It was a somber reflective moment trying to feel something of what he might have been feeling.  It was awe inspiring seeing Caleb, much of the crew that had come out to search, and the National Guard crew taking a moment, in tribute, as I imagined, for a final Blackhawk salute to this fallen Marine and brother and son.   I shall not soon forget those moments.  It seemed a profound moment of extending human kindness and honor to another.

            Once the chopper left, John and I had to return to the first preliminary LZ where we had left the horses that had carried men that far but had not been needed to relocate gear to the new LZ.  When we arrived there we were joined by Chris who had hiked up to help John and I deal with the stock.  John and I left the stock that had transported Caleb and the gear to the new LZ there, as we planned to return there to wait for the Sheriff’s crew and the chopper’s second load.  We gathered the stock, and John, Chris, and I returned to the LZ to wait for the recovery team and the second chopper pickup.  This new LZ provided the best graze yet for the stock, and again, since they had little time to graze at the Pine Creek command center before we had to get men and materials to the LZ, they had several hours to graze and rest while we were able to have lunch and admire a beautiful part of the Chinese Wall on a gorgeous day.  The weather for the entire trip was just phenomenal and wonderful, an interesting paradox to the mission.

The recovery team completed their tasks and started back to the LZ.  They soon contacted us by radio and asked us to bring some horses to meet them to help carry the load.  So, I rode Harley, and gathered up Goldy and Marley, who had the traditional Decker pack saddles on, and Chris, riding Jake, and I went to meet them with the pack horses.  We met up with them and they placed Noah’s remains on Goldy while Marley was loaded with Noah’s pack and ancillary gear, for the trip to the chopper.  We had not fully loaded the horses before the chopper appeared, causing a great deal of anxiety and hurry among the recovery team.  Perhaps they get charged by the minute?  In any event they were in an almighty hurry to get to the chopper.   We did not have a serious incident, but with all the haste and unusual circumstances, it was another one of the moments of Divine help and intervention.

The chopper landed at yet another LZ closer to us than the first one, but kept the chopper hot so that it remained running.  By now I was leading Goldy on foot, and Chris was leading Marley, but the noise, the excitement and hurry of the team, the wind from the chopper, and carrying the unusual loads generated a little more than desired activity on the part of the horses that caused some, like for example me, to fear the whole load might come apart, supplying embarrassment at the least.   So we backed the horses off a ways, the loads were safely removed, and the chopper was loaded with the recovery team, the remains, and ancillary gear.   Since the incoming detectives and recovery team had left some of their gear at the initial LZ, the chopper had to take off and then sort of hover for perhaps 1/4 mile further and then set down again at the original LZ to pick up their gear.  Again seeing the chopper take off was a remarkable and awe inspiring sight.  Deputy Woods departed on the chopper with the Sheriff, detectives, and recovery team for a direct flight to Helena to maintain the integrity of the chain of evidence or possession. 

SAR coordinator Ralph DeCunzo and team leaders Skyler Pester and Kevin Grabinski remained behind with John, Chris, and I to get the horses back to base camp, help secure the command center and remove all remaining men and materials.  The six of us loaded up the horses and headed back to the command center to prepare to depart.  One BP Agent had remained at camp to secure the area while we were all gone.  This left a total of 7 men in camp to spend the night, pack up everything and hike or ride out with the horses and gear on Sunday morning.

 

August 26 Sunday – We had prepped as much as possible Saturday night by packing and weighing for transport as much gear as was not needed to spend the night.  We got up early Sunday morning, turned part of the horses loose to graze while we loaded up personal gear, got some breakfast, filtered water, tacked up the horses, etc.  We gathered all the remaining gear on a tarp and began to pack and weigh it all out.  It turned out to still be five pack horses full of gear. 

            As we were leaving the camp with the horses, I crossed a little semi dry creek in which was a little mud.  Typically this  should have been no big deal, but first thing in the morning with the horses anxious to get started and a little frisky, Harley, third horse in the string, balked a little and then jumped the festering thing, which forced those behind to hastily jump also …….. primarily in order to keep up with their heads.  This threw the top pack off of Beauty, who was in the rear, and tore the straps off ….. but not completely off.  One side stayed intact and fastened, permitting the top pack to obediently follow her around as she thrashed about.  This engaged her full attention, and since she was still tied to the entire string, it generated no end of interest among both the rest of the restless stock …. and us.  Ralph leaped off to help, and as Beauty made a pass by him, quite innocently, or at least accidentally, knocked him over, much, as you can imagine, to his delight.  We finally got her unhooked from the string and redneck engineered (except for no duct tape) a way to hold the top pack on, and started out again. 

            Ralph rode his horse, John rode his and “ponied” his other two for a while until we caught the hikers, and then one of the hikers rode the rest of the way out on one of his empty horses.  I rode out on Sundae Swirl, and led my remaining five horses packed for the trip.  We caught up with the hikers, who were able to be walking quite light as we had most of their gear.  But they were CRUISING.  These guys are animals.  The two remaining BP Agents, and Skyler and Kevin, the L & C SAR guys, hiked out ahead. 

            On the way out the hikers first saw, and then pointed out to us a canvas bivvy sack on a hillside beside the trail.  It had a sleeping bag in it but was empty of anyone.  After our ordeal we had a lot of speculation, but it appears, or at least we speculated, to have just been left by someone who had gone fishing down at the river or …?  I suppose if anyone is reported missing in the area ……………….

Although there were one or two minor adjustments required on the way out, we basically made the approximately 16 miles the rest of the way out to the Benchmark trail head relatively calmly.  These loads were much more carefully weighed and loaded, as by now most of the guys that had dealt with the horses had seen how poorly it works to just throw things on!   

For a while something possessed the string, and as one crowded another, particularly where there was graze beside the trail in more open areas, Harley, again, and perhaps Marley also, attempted to snatch a few bites of food on the run.  This fired up the rest of the crew, and to keep ahead of them and keep their necks stretched out I had to step it up some, and I imagine we were fast walking at 5-6 mph + for a mile or two.  We made wonderful time during that stretch.  I suspect John and I were both inwardly smiling that “this is why we have fine Tennessee Walking horses,” as at least Sundae was smooth as silk.  Man she can travel with the proper motivation!!!  Anyway, Ralph, riding a fine paint horse that walks well in his own right ….. was not merely walking during this phase.  His enthusiasm for this part of the trip was probably not as high as mine!!    He didn’t whine, but ….. inwardly he may have been saying, “I hate looking at the butt of a Tenneseee Walking Horse.”  (Which is about all that those riding other horses see!  ☺)  But let the record show I DID offer Ralph the opportunity to ride one of my Walkers out and pack his.  He declined!  Let this be a lesson for you, Ralph!!  (Man, I was glad Ralph was with us on the trip.  He was a great hand!)

When we got back to the trail head, the Kerseys were waiting for us.  That was a cool thing.  Vern jumped right in to help unload the pack string.  He had been a great hand the entire trip helping at the trailhead before we left, on the trip, and at the end of the trip.  I got to meet his wife, Donelle, and their son, Trevor, which was a wonderful thing.  Trevor wanted to ride a horse, so when we had the stock unloaded I put him up on Misty and off we went around the camp.  For a while he held Sundae as she grazed, then helped put some hay into the hay nets for the ride home, and helped load the stock back into the trailer.  The makings of a fine hand, that lad!!

Within about an hour after we got to camp, the hikers showed up and we all packed into vehicles for the 4 hour drive home.  I made it safely home around 11:00 p.m.  What a wonderful, exhausting, rejoicing, mourning, successful adventure and operation.  MANY THANKS to all who participated.  May the Pippins find the comfort they need in the certain knowledge of Noah’s death.  The mourning of uncertainty is now replaced with the mourning of certainty.  It certainly was a bitter sweet ending, but an overwhelmingly successful operation, and a near textbook case of interagency cooperation.  ALMOST!  Did I mention ………………..?

It really was a privilege and delight to have a hand in this operation and to get to work so closely with so many good men. 

And, God clearly had His hand of protection and direction upon us all.  He was orchestrating things before we even knew things needed to be orchestrated.

1 comment:

  1. Good thing you wrote all this out, Dad! I know getting stuff down for the record is a lot of work but is no doubt worth it. Sounds like a major imprinting moment. Definitely lots of strange connections that played out over those two years Noah was missing. They make movies about this kind of thing.

    I hadn't realized until I read your story just how quickly it came about there at the BP Station, with finding out the Pippens were in the area, etc. Having firsthand insight into how slow these government agencies generally make any decisions, I too am amazed it even happened. It's another case of action occuring only if you sail past the guy manning the front desk, or the first several desks...

    But why mince words? Tell us how you *really* feel about the Forest Service. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Comments should reflect honest seeking and discussion. No name calling or nasty argumentation. Vigorous discussion is fine.